SPH Commencement Information
Spring 2015 Commencement
The Commencement Ceremony for graduating students will take place at the UIC Forum on Friday, May 8, 2015. Commencement will begin promptly at 3:30 p.m. and the ceremony will conclude at approximately 5:15 p.m. All graduates are required to arrive no later than 2:30 p.m. Upon arrival the UIC Forum staff will direct you to the area reserved for participating graduates. There will be a reception in a tented area nearby the Forum immediately following the Commencement Ceremony.
Dr. LaMar Hasbrouck, MD, MPH
Dr. LaMar Hasbrouck is a "passionary" (passionate-visionary) whose approach to life has taken him from inner-city poverty to the highest levels of his profession. An experienced public health leader, he has consulted on health matters around the world, including South America, Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean. Dr. Hasbrouck is currently the Executive Director for the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO) which represents the nation's 2,800 local governmental health departments. NACCHO’s mission is to be a leader, partner, catalyst, and voice with local health departments working towards a vision of health, equity, and security for all people in their communities. To read Dr. Hasbrouck's full bio, please click here.
Eligibility to Participate in Commencement
The Commencement Ceremony at the University occurs only once per year. The School of Public Health holds its annual Commencement Ceremony each year in May. Commencement is the occasion for the recognition of graduates by the School and the conferral of degrees. The graduating class consists of summer 2014, fall 2014, and spring 2015 graduates.
Summer 2015 graduates are not automatically eligibile to participate. Please read the Eligibility to Participate in Commencement(pdf).
Graduates with special needs must contact the UIC Forum at (312) 413-9875 at least 2 days prior to the College Commencement ceremony to arrange for a seat location and assistance to enable them to participate in the ceremony. Guests with special needs or those hearing-impaired may request seating assistance from the staff on duty. A sign language interpreter will be present on the stage for the benefit of students and guests who are hearing impaired.
Student Requirements for Commencement Ceremony:
- Provide information for guests attending commencement. Commencement is not a ticketed event and you do not need to RSVP. Commencement information including directions and parking information are located here. For out-of-town guests, a list of hotels is available here. If you have family who cannot attend, they may view the ceremony from home live on the Internet. To access the webcast, please visit the UIC Commencement website at the designated time of the ceremony. Viewers will need to click on the link for the School of Public Health.
- Purchase Academic Dress (cap, gown, tassel and hood). All SPH graduates should order their caps and gowns for the UIC Medical Bookstore located in Student Center West. Questions can be directed to the UIC Bookstore at (312) 413-5550. In-store sales begin in early April.
The cost is as follows: Bachelor's: $30.95; Master's: $55.95; and PhD/Doctoral: $82.95. (The most current and complete information can be found here).
Please note the following details regarding academic regalia:
- BA: Blue cap, blue gown, white tassel
- MS: Blue cap, blue gown, tassel and hood indicative of college (SPH: Salmon Color)
- PhD: Red cap, red gown, gold tassel, and indigo hood lined with flame and indigo
- Doctor (excluding PhD): Black cap, black gown, tassel and hood indicative of college (SPH Salmon Color).
- MPH and MHA: Blue cap, blue gown, salmon colored hood and salmon colored tassel
- Order graduation announcements if desired. Graduation announcements can be ordered through: Jostens.
The UIC Forum is located at 725 W. Roosevelt Road (corner of Halsted Street and Roosevelt Road). For directions please visit the UIC Forum website.
Visitor parking is available one block south of the UIC Forum at 701 W. Maxwell St. (Lot MXPS, Halsted and Maxwell Street). Additional parking is available in lots located at 760 West Taylor Street (Halsted and Taylor Street) and 1135 South Morgan Street (Roosevelt and Morgan Street).
2:30 p.m. – All graduates are required to arrive no later than 2:30 p.m. for final instructions and line-up for the ceremony
3:30 p.m. – Commencement procession begins
3:35 p.m. – Opening remarks by Dean
5:15 p.m. – Reception begins
Chicago is beautiful aesthetically, and vast. It has all of the problems of the world and all the potential for fixing them… a perfect place to witness the social determinants of health at work.