SPH Commencement Information
Spring 2013 Commencement
The Commencement Ceremony for graduating students will take place at the UIC Forum on Friday, May 10, 2013. Commencement will begin promptly at 3:30 p.m. and the ceremony will conclude at approximately 5:00 p.m. All graduates are required to arrive no later than 2:30 p.m. Upon arrival the UIC Forum staff will direct you to the area reserved for participating graduates. There will be a reception at the Forum immediately following the Commencement Ceremony.
Student Requirements for Commencement Ceremony
- Provide information for guests attending commencement. Commencement is not a ticketed event and you do not need to RSVP. Commencement information including directions and parking information are located here. For out-of-town guests, a list of hotels is available here. If you have family who cannot attend, they may view the ceremony from home live on the Internet. To access the webcast, please visit the UIC Commencement website at the designated time of the ceremony. Viewers will need to click on the link for the School of Public Health.
- Purchase Academic Dress (cap, gown, tassel and hood). All SPH graduates should order their caps and gowns for the UIC Medical Bookstore located in Student Center West. Questions can be directed to the UIC Bookstore at (312) 413-5550. In-store sales begin TBD.
The cost is as follows: TBD but likely close to: Master's: $54.95 and PhD/Doctoral: $82.95
Please note the following details regarding academic regalia:
- MS: Blue cap, blue gown, tassel and hood indicative of college (SPH: Salmon Color)
- PhD: Red cap, red gown, gold tassel, and indigo hood lined with flame and indigo
- Doctor (excluding PhD): Black cap, black gown, tassel and hood indicative of college (SPH Salmon Color).
- MPH and MHA: Blue gown, blue cap, salmon colored cood and salmon colored tassel
- Order graduation announcements if desired. Graduation announcements can be ordered through: TBD
The UIC Forum is located at 725 W. Roosevelt Road (corner of Halsted Street and Roosevelt Road). For directions please visit the UIC Forum website.
Visitor parking is available one block south of the UIC Forum at 701 W. Maxwell St. (Lot MXPS, Halsted and Maxwell Street). Additional parking is available in lots located at 760 West Taylor Street (Halsted and Taylor Street) and 1135 South Morgan Street (Roosevelt and Morgan Street).
2:30 p.m. – All graduates are required to arrive no later than 2:30 p.m. for final instructions and line-up for the ceremony
3:30 p.m. – Commencement procession begins
3:35 p.m. – Opening remarks by Dean
5:00 p.m. – Reception begins onsite
Chicago is beautiful aesthetically, and vast. It has all of the problems of the world and all the potential for fixing them… a perfect place to witness the social determinants of health at work.